Gradle Build Tool Configuration Organization
Large software projects may consist of many components, each with its own configuration. Managing the growing configuration can be challenging and if not done correctly lead to misconfiguration and frustration. Also often there will be common configuration and dependencies for these components.
In this training we will cover best practices on how to organize build configuration for large software projects. We will dive into details of Gradle Build Tool features that make it easier to manage shared configuration and dependencies. These will not only make it easier to manage configuration for large software projects, but also improve build performance.
This class is designed for Build Engineers and Software Developers who want to learn how to better manage Gradle Build Tool configuration for large software projects.
- Install the latest version of Gradle Build Tool along with at least Java 8
- Refer to the Java compatibility matrix to ensure appropriate Java version
- A good editor
- Recommended: IntelliJ community edition
- Gradle Build Tool experience
- Knowledge of core concepts
- Authoring build files
- Kotlin DSL experience a plus
- Some experience with software development
- Deeper understanding of shared build configuration
- Including historical development
- Best practices for performance and maintainability
- Hands-on exercise to reinforce learning
- Shared build configuration
- Script compilation & duplicate configuration
- Initial buildSrc feature
- Included builds, aka composite builds
- Improvements to buildSrc
- Custom task best practices
- Next steps